APA format requires that your paper include:
- A cover or title page
- The paper itself (body/text)
- A references page
- Appendices (if necessary)
We strongly recommend that you:
- Gather citations for the sources you plan to use as you do your research
- Prepare your reference page BEFOREyou write your paper
- Check the Tips & Hints section for time savers
- Use Citation Generators & database "Cite" features with caution - great as starting points, but not 100% accurate
With these two tasks done, you can simply insert your references as you cite them, greatly simplifying the task!
Review the sections of this box for specific tips about each section of your paper, more resources & helpful videos that explain how to apply APA formatting in Microsoft Word.
The Modern Language Association (MLA) does not require you to create a cover page when you complete your research paper, but some instructors may require you to have it. A paper with a cover page also looks more professional.
If your instructor requires your paper to have a cover page, he/she usually provides specific instructions on what you should put on the cover page. Here is the general MLA Format cover page: this page should include your university name, your research paper title, your name, your class, your professor name and your paper’s due date.
Here is how to format your MLA cover page:
- This page is double spaced and the letters are centered.
- Type the name of your university or college.
- Skip to about one-third of the page and type your research paper title, include a subtitle if you have.
- Skip several lines down and type your name, your course name and number, your instructor name and your paper’s due date.
Sample MLA Format Cover Page:
Sample MLA Format Cover Page
Alternate First Page:
If your instructor requires a cover page, you may omit the main heading on your first page. Here is an example of the first page if a cover page is used. You still need your last name and page number on the first page and every other pages.
Sample MLA Format First Page with Cover Page
Visit here for a real sample paper with the cover page. This paper also has the outline page for your sample.
MLA Format Guidelines:
APA Format Guidelines: