When putting together an argumentative essay you will want to find the top 10 argumentative essay topics around. The more controversial the topic, the better it will be for debate purposes. There is nothing like a good, heated debate to get lackluster minds working.
The top 10 argumentative essay topics will definitely leave people with an opinion, a perspective or a sour taste in their mouths. The fact remains that a good debate has the ability to arouse mixed feelings some of which may be latent and hostile feelings towards a particular issue. Additionally, disputes and arguments are likely to arise when there is a good controversial topic up for debate. Below are a few examples of argumentative topics that are likely to spark debate.
Argumentative Essay Hot Topics
There is no limit when it comes to these contemporary issues that are often ignored in many areas of mass media. Let’s start with the coveted list of hot topics.
- Abortion - There is no cap on how much controversy the simple word of abortion sparks. Ever since the controversial Roe vs. Wade court case, the notion of abortion have spawned many riots, picketing and of course, violence. Pro-Lifers and Pro-Choicers often collide in a venomous war of words that often leads to violence of the highest form.
- Animal rights and experimentation – there is one acronym that reigns supreme when it comes to the rights of animals and that is PETA. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, is a group that sparks controversy wherever their representatives are. Whether it is dumping red paint on women who wear furs or just simply picketing on the steps of Congress, PETA is definitely at the forefront of controversy. Animal rights and experimentation is one topic that will always ignite raw feelings and a heated debate.
- Breast cancer and the effects of chemicals in soaps, deodorants, etc. – Where there are pink ribbons there is bound to be controversy. The Susan G. Komen Foundation is at the forefront of creating a bit of a stir when it comes to finding a cure for breast cancer, whether it is through walkathons, or charitable events, the foundation strives for proper education, and continuous research on the eradication of breast cancer as evident in their “race for the cure” events. Writing an argumentative essay on breast cancer and the possible irritants in everyday things such as soaps, laundry detergents and deodorants as being possible causes of breast cancer will undoubtedly create a bit of a stir.
- Border control – With America being the land of the free and the home of the brave, there have been continuous efforts to prevent immigrant entry through closing down the borders of the country. This will always be a hot topic of conversation, arguments and debates because it seeks to answer “what is an American since this is a country of blended cultures.”
- Pharmaceutical industry – Never have two simple words sparked such explosive debates coast-to-coast and around the world. The pharmaceutical industry has been alleged to be responsible for many things.
- Ethnic adoption – This is fast being a hot topic of interest for many people because it explores the notion of couples adopting non-American babies.
- Death penalty - With so many people on death row, people have much to say about how the country handles death row inmates as well as what happens when an inmate is forced to walk the green mile and their number is literally up.
- Genetic cloning – There has always been a way to get a rise out of people when the topic of genetic cloning comes into play. It forces people to contemplate the idea of man take on the roles that were meant for God.
- Plastic surgery – With the addiction and deaths attributed to a gross fixation on plastic surgery procedures, many people attribute the rise of prescription medicine addiction and deaths to plastic surgery. This is one topic that is steadily gaining momentum when it comes to argumentative essays.
- Human trafficking – This is one topic where you just can’t go wrong when looking for controversy.
Post a comment.comments powered by
Top 10 Argumentative Essay Topics
By YourDictionaryWhen putting together an argumentative essay you will want to find the top 10 argumentative essay topics around. The more controversial the topic, the better it will be for debate purposes. There is nothing like a good, heated debate to get lackluster minds working.
Many people could benefit from using a more conversational style when trying to appeal to an audience. A conversational writing style seems to be more fluid and can convey just about any message to your audience. You may notice a conversational writing style in company newsletters as well as in certain newspapers and magazines. In order to have a better conversational writing style you will probably need to study a few user friendly conversational writing tips.
A conversational writing style seemingly breaks all of the grammatical rules. It is aimed at the target audience and addresses them as such. Its sentences may begin with pronouns and end with verbs. Sometimes there are fragmented sentences infused to display a thought. Sentences may even begin with “and,” “but,” and “yet.”
Samples of Conversational Writing
Use Contractions in Your Writing
One of the things that most writers who are fluent in conversational writing style may do is use an abundance of contractions. If the name of the game is to catch and keep the reader’s attention one of the only ways to do this is to use contractions in sentences.
For example, if you were trying to interest the reader in buying a product or service, you may want to use more contractions in your sentence. When a reader sees a contraction almost instantaneously he or she will let their eyes go back to the contraction. Whether to better digest the text or just because their attention was caught, the reader will re-read the statement.
Tell a Story
The single most important part of a conversational writing piece is that it tells a definitive story. The story is fluid and delivered in such a way that the reader will feel as if he or she were talking with their best friend.
If you are unsure about how to deliver the fluidity of the conversational tone, then record yourself when you are talking on the telephone and then transcribe your conversation. You will notice when you go back and read it that there is a definitive conversational style that is apparent. Once you see your conversational voice you will better be able to use your conversational voice in your writing on demand.
Write the Way You Talk
It is important to listen to that little voice in your head – you know, the voice of reason. If you listen to that voice when you talk you can listen to it when you write. And when you do, your conversational style will definitely shine through.
Use Easy to Understand Words
There is no need to use large, unintelligible words – the average reader may not appreciate anyways. You can dumb down your vocabulary when you are writing conversationally. People are more apt to follow you if you use words that they can understand.
Rambling creates both chaos and confusion. It should be avoided at all costs. Alongside of rambling is its distant cousin, wordiness. Too many words will turn a reader off and make them stray away from your work. The point is to be smooth and conversational, not abrupt, wordy and aggressive.
If you can read out loud and it flows then you have accomplished your innate mission of writing conversationally. If at any time your stumble as you are reading your work, then it may not necessarily be flowing in the way that a conversation would flow. Look for fluidity in your work. Try not to over analyze what you have written. Writing in a conversational tone may take a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it, you will always be able to use it as a most effective writing tool.