The causes of a job transfer request may be manifold. It may happen:
- Due to the willingness to develop new professional skills: by learning a new language, discovering a new country, or a new line of business, etc.
- Due to the willingness to tackle new business challenges: as we get to the point where we master all the duties related to our position, the resulting routine can lead to significant stress and the need for a change
- Due to tensions within the team: conflicts with the manager, bad atmosphere…
- Due to a change in one's family life: getting married, giving birth, etc. (e.g. a stewardess who just had a baby and who wishes to stop travelling around the globe)
- Due to aging / illness: one may be unable to keep working in the same capacity due to physical pain or weariness (a reduction in working hours or the assignment of lighter duties may also be requested)
There is also the case when an expatriate wants to return to his/her country of origin to school the children, get medical care, or due to insecurity, for example.
Please note that when the transfer request is made in relation to a vacancy within the organization, it is important to apply to that position in just the same as if you were applying for a job outside the company, i.e. by sending a complete job application (sample documents).
Here is a sample job transfer request that was triggered by personal motives. Note that, in this case, it is important to be transparent and clearly state the reasons behind your willingness to be transferred. Also, you will gain from avoiding overstating the benefits the company will get out of your transfer.
Sample Letter #1
Your promotion and new assignment has been confirmed. As of January 1, you will be District Sales Manager of the entire Kansas area.
I am pleased to inform you also that your request for reimbursement of moving expenses has been approved. Please submit your receipts as soon as possible and the Company will reimburse your moving costs up to $8,000.00.
Doe International welcomes you aboard its management team and wishes you continued success in this new position.
Sample Letter #2
This letter is to confirm your request for a transfer from our housewares department to women's clothing.
As we discussed in our meeting, you are scheduled for sales training at 8 a.m. on January 15. The department head has been informed that you will report to her immediately after the two-hour training session.
Sample Letter #3
As we discussed on the telephone yesterday, your transfer has been approved. Starting on July 1, 2002, you will be assigned to the systems development department at your present level.
Jane Doe, who is department administrative assistant, will be available to help you get settled in your new work station.
Sample Letter #4
We were very pleased to hear that personnel gave final approval for your promotion to unit supervisor. You will join the new unit on July 9, 2002. Please see Jane Doe in personnel to fill out the requisite payroll forms, and pick up a unit orientation packet from the unit secretary. Congratulations on your new position.
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the confirmation letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective confirmation letter.
- Print your confirmation letter and send it!